Dina Wind (1938-2014)

Artist Biography:

Originally from Israel, Dina Wind came to the United States in 1963. She earned her B.A. from the Hebrew University [Jerusalem, Israel], M.A. from the University of Pennsylvania [Philadelphia, PA], and a certificate in art appreciation from the Barnes Foundation when it was located at its former campus in Merion, PA. Wind additionally studied under the sculptor Leon Sitarchik. She had numerous solo exhibitions in both the Philadelphia area and New York throughout her career and was a longtime member of both Nexus Gallery in Philadelphia and Veridian Gallery in New York. Her work has been acquired by international collections such as Fields Associates [Tokyo, Japan] and The Interdisciplinary Center [Herzlia, Israel], as well as national collections including the Woodmere Art Museum [Philadelphia, PA], The West Collection, SEI [Oaks, PA], and the Hechinger Collection [Landover, MD].

Artistically descended from Abstract Expressionism, Wind started her art training in studio painting classes with Sam Feinstein, an artist/teacher who studied with Hans Hoffman. Wind painted from the early 70’s to the mid 80’s, when she switched mediums to metal sculpture, which she studied in studio classes starting in the early 80’s. Her latest work included individual metal sculptures, several series of metal wall sculptures, and floor installations, all of which have been described as “drawing in space." Instead of a brush and canvas, Wind works with cast-off materials such as abandoned car parts, industrial cut outs, pewter kitchenware and discarded tools. She transforms this detritus, the bane of the urban landscape, into lyrical compositions accented by deep glowing colors and linework. In 2006, Wind additionally started to create 3-Dimensional works on paper.

Click the link below to download her CV.

Bridgette Mayer Gallery   709 Walnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19106   tel 215 413 8893   fax 215 413 2283   bmayer@bridgettemayergallery.com   Site by exhibit-E™